Monday, September 21, 2009

Making a difference to others' lives =)

Anyway, Suyi has also decided to opt for Commerce when she goes to uni next yr. I have told her numerous times that whatever decisions she makes and will make in future, she can count on my full moral support. Deep inside my heart, I just know she aspires to be a doctor and i know she will make a fabulous doctor. However, due to some reasons, she decides to take Commerce. Since you have decided, go for it! =)

I actually feel that ambitions/aspirations and knowing what we want in life are strongly correlated. Recently, a few friends actually approached me to ask about this...At that instant, I thought what my good friend, Mark told me three yrs back(when I was 18). I can still remember the scene where we had that convo very well.
*************************
(2006, University of Adelaide campus)
Mark: Mingchien, I know you have many other friends who have taught you many things in life. Glad to know you have a long-term ambition to fulfil. However, do you know what leads to you knowing what you want to be in the future?

Mi: I guess, it's because of my passion.

Mark: Yes your passion is one impt factor, but do you know the purpose of the ambition you are harbouring?

Mi: The purpose you mean?

Mark: Yes, that purpose I referred to is your goal in life. This goal also answers the question of your purpose of living. Answers why we are working so hard, what are we striving hard for. Or else, you have no direction in life. Mingchien, to understand your ambition well, you have to find this purpose, in other words, what you want in life. Start thinking about this early will do you good.
******************
'There is a saying: Without vision, the people perish.'

Ever since, I thought a lot, searching deep inside myself. I even asked some of my friends about theirs. I felt one of my friends' answer to be altruistic. She said, she wants to make a difference to mankind. She was doing Science degree and she aspires to be a researcher and wants to be in the research of finding cure for AIDS patients.

But how I eventually find my purpose? I searched deep inside myself, reflecting on how I feel about the events and issues surrounding me, and how I can be a good individual at present and in the future.

What kind of characters you possess or you think you might possess? (A fundamental question in order to determine it)
What you hope to do now and in the future that will give you the sense of accomplishment and satisfaction?
What do you strongly feel about?
Your passion plays an important role as well.

But finding this purpose requires time, this includes the time required to know yourself. I took 2 yrs plus to find it. The title is the answer i have found for myself. Making a difference to others' lives. Be it a friend, spouse or others, be compassionate to people around u. Knowing what you have done has made the other parties happy, makes me happy. That's when i enjoy true happiness. This purpose in life, in which we are trying to find, tends to be sth simplistic yet powerful.

Just like what Mark always said to me, everytime he taught me about things in life, 'You do not need to realise or fully understand what I told you, you need time to realise that all these make sense.'

I guess, he left a big impact on many of my thoughts in life. Take your time, dun think so much, eventually you will find your answer to what you want in life. Work and play hard =)

No comments: